Thursday, May 30, 2024

Reach 4 the STARS Bulletin Board

My coworker inspired me to create this bulletin board this past school year.  I just completed my 15th year teaching.  In the past fifteen years, I have taught 7th math, 7th honors math, 8th math, and Algebra.  This past school year I taught 8th math and Algebra.

Students received a star when they earned a 100% on a CFA (Common Formative Assessment) or a QC (Quick Check).  These were quizzes both of us gave together to all students.  These quizzes focused on primarily essential standards.  We compared our scores together to see how students did on the specific standards.  A response plan was created based on how students performed.  Response plans varied from each quiz, but primarily it focused on specific practice on which questions they missed since most questions were either different standards or the type of question to help students along the way.  Students who scored extremely low worked with us at our horseshoe/kidney tables to reteach the concept to attempt to catch them along the way.  Students also received a star when they scored an 85% or higher on a unit test. 

As I started adding stars to the bulletin board, it really inspired students.  Each class period had their own color card stock.  Since mixed card stock assortments are packaged with five different colors, I decided to group my Algebra class to one color.  Last year, I used blue for Algebra.  Therefore, blue looks deceiving because they appear to have the most.  In reality, it was two class periods with 35 students.  

I have started using my Cricut Explore Air 2 device to begin cutting new stars for next year.  I have adjusted the size to allow one card stock sheet (8.5x11) to have six stars cut from it.  Each star for the upcoming year will be approximately 3.5 inches wide.  In my bulletin board from last year, they ranged between four to five inches wide.  The size was great for the wall, but disliked the wasted paper when cutting them.

STARS 6 Cricut File

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails