Saturday, August 03, 2013

Maple-Glazed Sausage with Wilted Spinach and Brown Rice


Last night, I cooked maple sausage w/spinach and brown rice.  I really like this recipe and the flavors work well together!  This is the second or third time I have cooked it and really like it.  I honestly can say I did not eat spinach often, but I will cook this recipe when I receive spinach from my local Bountiful Baskets.  Ashlyn does not like the spinach as much, but both Jakob and Roland have both wolfed it down which really surprised Jeff and me.  My one recommendation is to really watch the time on the spinach.  The first time I really wilted it quickly and have turned the heat down dramatically the last time I cooked it. Enjoy!

Maple-Glazed Sausage with Wilted Spinach
Servings: 4
Start to Finish: 22 minutes

Ingredients:
10 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut diagonally into 3/4 inch slices
1/4 cup reduced calorie or sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 cup cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1/4 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 6-ounce packages fresh baby spinach (about 10 cups)

Instructions:
1. In a very large nonstick skillet cook sausage slices over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until sausage is heated through and browned, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to medium-low and add syrup, tossing to coat sausage.  Remove sausage from skillet using a slotted spoon; cover and keep warm.
2. Add onion, broth, sage, and pepper to skillet.  Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is just tender, stirring occasionally.  Increase heat to medium.  Add spinach to hot skillet; cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach is just wilted, tossing once.
3. Divide spinach amount four servings plates.  Top with sausage slices.

Per Serving (Maple-Glazed Sausage with Wilted Spinach): 166 cal, 15 carbs, 14 g protein, 7 g total fat, 726 mg sodium.

Recipe from: Diabetic Living Diabetes What to Eat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails