Thursday, July 22, 2010

Oat Waffles & Bacon Breakfast

I have been reading Delightful Country Cookin' online and enjoy reading what she cooks.  I read last night about her Oat Waffles she cooked and they looked really good!  I decided to cook them for breakfast and save the extras for another morning when I do not feel like cooking.  Jakob helped me mix all the ingredients and he wolfed down an entire waffle this morning and said he loved them!


While in the kitchen this morning, I also cooked the bacon from the refrigerator.  It was at the point where it had to be cooked soon!  So I cut it into small pieces and cooked it quickly to use with future meals.  Plus, I ate a few pieces and the craving for bacon was satisfied!


The waffles call for oat flour.  I used my food processor and poured 1 1/4 cup oats into it until it was smooth.  I only had regular oatmeal and the waffles seemed fine.  I might try quick-cooking oats next time when I have them in my cupboard.


Once the oats look like flour, mix the other dry ingredients together in a bowl.  One thing I think would have helped this recipe was a whisk and I do not have one at the moment!  Another thing to add to my list for cooking!  I probably could have used my nice mixer (it has a whisk), but did not want to wash it afterwards!


Once the dry ingredients are ready, mix the wet ingredients together in another bowl.  Jakob helped me mix these ingredients and he loved it!  He is concentrating in this picture to make sure he does not spill any of the ingredients!


Finally mix the wet and dry ingredients together.  Jakob did this too for me and did a pretty good job.  I used my 1/2 cup measuring cup to pour them on my waffle iron.  I have to spray my waffle iron with Pam now.  This recipe claims it will make 8 waffles and it was pretty accurate.  I think I stopped around 6 today!  I love saving waffles in a Ziplock freezer bag for mornings that I do not want to cook!  I tried using my FoodSaver before with pancakes and it takes a little too much air out and is not good!



I got the idea to cook the bacon from Delightful Country Cookin'.  She mentioned it on an earlier post and since I really needed too cook this bacon, it was quick and easy!  All I did was cut it into small pieces.  I cooked it on medium-medium high and just stirred it occasionally while I worked on the dishes!  I put it all in a Ziplock and have it in the refrigerator for later meals.



Oat Waffles
(modified from Taste of Home Light and Tasty Annual Recipes 2002) 
1 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup flour (gluten free works fine)
4 t. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
2 T. oil
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Put oats in a blender and process until they become a flour-like texture.  Place in a bowl with flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Combine dry and wet ingredients (don't over stir!).  Cook batter 1/2 cup at a time in a waffle iron.  Makes 8 waffles.

Nutrition: 178 cal, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, 54mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 24g carbs, 2g fiber, 7g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails