Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Savior: The Way God Works - 3/11/17

On Friday, March 10th, we found out about Pastor Chris being relocated to Greenville.  He will be the pastor at Wesley UMC beginning this July.  We will surely miss the Yost family as they have truly been an amazing inspiration to our family.  I am grateful we were introduced to him and his family and to Cross Way UMC.

Savior: The Way God Works - 3/11/17

The call of the first disciples illustrates one of the purposes of Jesus' ministry: to call people to follow him in self-denying obedience.


“As Jesus walked alongside the Galilee Sea, he saw two brothers, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew, throwing fishing nets into the sea, because they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," he said, "and I’ll show you how to fish for people." Right away, they left their nets and followed him. Continuing on, he saw another set of brothers, James the son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with Zebedee their father repairing their nets. Jesus called them and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.”
Matthew 4:18-22 CEB
http://bible.us/37/mat.4.18-22.ceb

The opening song to church that evening hit me hard.  I can hear the tune and I can remember exactly where I was standing.  The main lyrics go something like:
I will follow you,
Where you go I will go
Stay I will stay
Serve I will serve...


My reflection / notes:
  • Really frustrating when you experience real people in poverty.  Then you see someone... momentarily glance and then you look away as quick as you can?? God I really don't want to see what I just saw but God is there something I can do? It never fits into your schedule. You understand the call of serving and having god in your life.
  • People in this passage:
    • Peter is a goof ball sometimes.
    • Andrew maybe a little bit more wholly.
    • James 
    • John
  • Fisherman -- multiple job concepts related to fisherman.
    • These fisherman Were just going about their lives. Jesus takes the initiative to see them.  Jesus is the one who speaks to them.  Seeks to offer. Seeks to restore the relationship.
    • The call was for everyone.
  • Redemption story. God calls us to be apart of. Miracle is the call itself. Jesus would speak the word and people would follow.
  • Jesus says, "Follow me."  As he leads, we follow.
  • Take the plans you had and set them aside.
  • Chris handed out fishing nets.  Whatever God is calling you to.  What vocation are you in?  Go be it. You are the one.


Then, I read my Jesus Calling book for March 12th!  It was spot on to what I was feeling with the news and all of the emotions.  It was one of the moments, when I said, "Okay God, I'm listening."  I am reminded more now than ever to stop and listen when I am troubled.  God has a way of speaking to me, but you just have to slow down to listen and hear him.

Jesus Calling - 3/12/2017

Waiting, trusting, and hoping are intricately connected, like golden strands interwoven to forma  strong chain.  Trusting is the central strand, because it is the response from My children that I desire the most.  Waiting and hoping embellish the central strand and strengthen the chain that connects you to Me.  Waiting for Me to work, with your eyes on Me, is evidence that you really do trust Me.  If you mouth the words "I trust You" while anxiously trying to make things go your way, your words ring hollow.  Hoping is future-directed, connecting you to the inheritance in heaven.  However, the benefits of hope fall fully on you in the present.

Because you are Mine, you don't just pass time in your waiting.  You can wait expectantly, in hopeful trust.  Keep your "antennae" out to pick up even the faintest glimmer of My Presence.


John 14:1; Psalm 27:14; Hebrews 6:18-20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails